Tuesday, May 25, 2010

That information would have been nice yesterday...

First off, I have to say that I am not mad at my doctor, but I am a little frustrated. Let me explain...
When I was trying to get pregnant with Lucy, I was not able to get pregnant and was so depressed about it. I went to my doctor (actually a mid-wife), Dale, and asked him why I couldn't get pregnant. He did an ultrasound on my ovaries and said it looked like I might have polycystic ovarian syndrom. He them told me that if I did not get pregnant in the next few months that he would do all the testing to officially diagnose me. Well, I did get pregnant and I had Lucy. Dale then moved to Alaska 2 weeks after I had her and Randy became my new doc. I forgot to ask Randy about it at my 6 week appointment (I was somewhat flustered having my 6 wk appointment with a man I had never met), so I left with no answers about the POS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrom).
Well, it's been 8 months since I had Lucy and I am so frustrated with my body. So, I decided to get "officially" diagnosed with POS and then get treated for it. I have all the syptoms, so I called Randy my OB to make an appointment. When I called the office I explained the situation, they put me on hold, and then Randy got on the phone. He said that there was no need for me to come in because I have already been diagnosed with POS. "Didn't you know?" Evidently Dale did diagnose me and did all the tests, I just wasn't informed of that important information. I was totally shocked to find this out months later. Thanks for that info doc!
To treat the POC and all my syptoms I am to skip pills on my birth control to make it so I only have "it" 3 times a year. That will make it so my ovaries shut down, making weight loss easier. I also am not suppost to eat any carbs. I have to say, that brought me to tears. I can only eat fruits, veggies, and protein. If I have not lost 6 lbs in the next 4 weeks, he will do further testing and then put me on some form of glucose.
This is all so frustrating. I know it's not cancer or anything, but it is somewhat serious. POS can cause a lot of problems, primarily with infertility and weight problems. I really hope with this new diet and changes with my birth control things will get under control.
Wish me luck! I will keep you posted.

7 comments:

Melani Boren said...

I'm sorry Nay; how frustrating. Good luck with the diet (hard)-you can do it!!!

marian said...

grr, grunt and we either love or despise our doctors. Good luck! At least summer is coming and it's easier to eat healthy and fresh! Love you!

Jinii said...

Ok that totally suck!!! As for the diet 2 of the girls I am in primary with are vegan and have gotten me addicted to green shakes. It is a great way to get lots of fruits and veggies. You can check out their blog greenshakesandgiggles.com. My favorite shake is not on there but I can send you the recipe if you want. I feel for you on the carbs I would cry if I had to give them up too!!! If I find any other good recipes I will send them your way!!!

Jinii said...

Also for me protein at lunch is so hard for me but my friend got me addicted to the talapia from Costco. You can put it in the microwave and it is super fast and easy. I usually throw in some microwave veggies and am set.

DeLong Family Members: said...

I am so glad you finally got the information--better late than never and hopefully this will help you feel better too. No carbs is hard, but you do eventually get used to it--dad has been on a modified no carb diet and it seems to work for him. MOM

Jenkins family said...

Good thing you aren't living with Michelle anymore. . .mmmmm, those mate' treats. I mean - oh, how yucky those were. Good thing you don't have to eat them anymore. When Dad gets home you can both have bacon with your mate'. Now that sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I object or smile at the above comments about my mate treats! I guess there are worse things than being known for coffee cakes and dessert bars!