Friday, December 9, 2011

Bring on the Wooden Legs!

So some of you know that with this pregnancy I have experienced horrible leg cramps. When I say leg cramps I don't mean "charlie horses" or cramping in my calves. I mean terrible, horrific, extremely painful cramps. Not only do my calves cramp, but the sides of my leg, all around my ankles, and up and down my shins. Did I mention it all happens at once too. Cramping everywhere all at once. Yeah, it's been pretty bad. I wake up in the night and pretty much start crying while Ryan tries to rub my legs.
So, after dealing with this for months off and on. I decided maybe my doctor might have some miracle answer. I have asked doctors in the past and they always say something dumb like "drink more water" or "eat more bananas". So I asked my doctor and here is what he suggested:
Wear compression socks
take a calcium supplement, a vitamin E supplement, a Magnesium supplement, a vitamin D supplement, and my prenatal vitamin daily
Deep calf massages in the evening
Stretching before bed
I was pretty skeptical of his advice, but I thought I would give it a shot. I am shocked and amazed, but since I started doing all this I haven't had a single leg cramp. It's been 3 weeks and I am cramp free. I am truly amazed that it worked. So, I wear these ugly socks everyday and I am feeling so good.

3 comments:

marian said...

Oh man - that sounds HORRIBLE! I'm so glad your dr had some solutions and is actually earning his pay!

erika said...

I'm so glad you were able to find some relief! It's so nice when what the dr suggests actually works!

Jenkins family said...

Bet you're glad it's winter. Those would look super hot at the Aquatic Center.