Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ear Plugs - What a bummer!



As most of your know, Isabel had to have tubes put in her ears this past March. She loves to swim and I've noticed since summer has come and we have bee more active, her ears have been draining a lot. And when I say a lot I do not mean a little wax here and there, I mean there is a little stream coming out of her ears most of the time. I didn't think much of. I just thought the tubes were working great. Then the other day I remembered a friend telling em that their child with tubes had to wear ear plugs when swimming. So, I called Isabel's surgeon and asked about it. Sure enough they recommended that she needed them. I think even if she didn't they would have recommended them though, those people are always after my money. So, yesterday we when to the audiologist to have ear plugs made. Isabel cried and cried and then cried some more (yea, it was that big open mouth cry too, it kind of makes me laugh when she cries like that). While getting her plugs made the audiologist mentioned that her ears were really goopy and draining a lot. So, she had us wait and get her ears suctioned. Okay, yuck! We had to hold her down while the doctor stuch this long metal object in her ear. He suctioned out so much crap. I was a little embarrased, am I a bad mom becasue my daughter has nasty ears? So, the whole visit was just great. I involved a lot of crying and a lot of yucky ear stuff. So now she is on some ear drops to help dry them up, she hate them, but I hate the wax more.

Last night we gave Isabel a bath and had her wear her plugs so she could get used to them. She really loved them. Can't you tell from the photo? It was happy bath time. She is such a pill.

1 comment:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Poor little girl..I don't blame her-I would probably cry with my mouth wide open too!! Do they really have to "fit" earplugs? I thought they were just gummy stuff you shoved in their ears??